Moving is an interesting time where the is the opportunity to embrace new experiences and possibilities. It can also be a most stressful time if proper planning is not put into order.
If you are planning to move in the near future or you’ve just finished the process of moving, here is a visual week-by-week breakdown of some of the most important tasks to complete during the first month of your move. We have also included a textual version below the infographic.
Also, make sure you have enough boxes and moving supplies and if you are in need of a storage pod, you can reserve those in advance.
[Click image for full size version]
The First Month: Move-in Checklist
Week 1 – The Essentials
Week 1 will be your busiest and most vital time after moving. From ensuring that everything in your new home is working properly to unpacking and settling in. here are the essential tasks to complete during your first week.
- Smoke alarms, fuse box and main water valve
- Emergency exits and evacuation routes
- Utilities (water, electric,heat/air conditioning)
- Damage to belongings during move (electronics, glass,china, plants)
- Sweep and mop floors
- Dust surfaces
- Wipe down counters/cupboards and shelves
- Unpack valuable/delicate items first
- Organize boxes by room
- Unpack bedroom and kitchen first
- TV, phone and Internet installation appointment
- Change locks
Week 2 – Map, Confirm & Update
Congrats on surviving your first week after a big move! Now it’s time to tackle the administrative tasks that tend to get lost in the mix of moving. Here’s your post-move checklist for week 2.
- Map commute to work
- Confirm new address is updated with Post Office, financial institutions, subscriptions, loan companies, phone service and insurance providers
- Update diver’s license and car registration
Week 3 – Explore, Meet & Maintain
You’ve properly settled into your new digs, so it’s time to explore your new environment. Here’s what to prepare for during week 3.
- Grocery store
- Gas station
- Police/fire station/hospital
- Post office
2. Meet the neighbors
- Mow lawn
- Clean garage/driveway
Week 4 – Discover & Decorate
Week 4 is all about making your new house and town feel more like home. From finding your new favorite coffee shop to persoanlizing your living space, here are the exciting tasks in store for week 4.
- Discover local restaurants, coffee shops, parks and fitness centers
- Find new doctor/dentists
- Get your home decor on!
Week 5 Bonus: Celebrate!
You successfully complete your first month after a big move! You deserve to let your hair down and celebrate, Here’s how.
- Have a housewarming party! Invite your friends and your new neighbors.
Congratulation, you’ve survived your first month after a big move. Follow this timeline and you’ll be settled into your new digs in no time.