Moving from one location to another can be very stressful. Many don’t even know where to begin when it comes to packing, moving and storing. It is important therefore to establish a checklist and prioritize the list based on urgency.
Here is an infographic that provides a moving timeline for a successful move and compiled it into the following infographic.
If you are in New York and surrounding areas and want to learn more about what sets iCan storage containers apart from companies like 1-800-Pack-Rat, Go Mini’s, MiBox, and Units, contact us as we are more than happy to talk about the benefits and advantages of iCan’s mobile storage systems.
[Click image for full size version]
Via Good Guys Moving & Delivery
A Moving Timeline for a Successful Move
8 Weeks Out
- Create a moving budget to know how much you can spend on a moving service and supplies.
- Research moving companies for price quotes and their accreditations.
- Organize all of your moving information (research on moving companies, receipts, list of items you are moving, etc.) in one folder.
- Make a list of all the specialty items (piano, gym equipment, etc. you will have to move an plan accordingly.
- Start the purging process and separating out items you will either donate or sell.
6 Weeks Out
- Sell or donate items you designate during the purging process.
- Gather supplies (moving boxes, tape, markers, bubble wrap, etc.) you will need for the moving process.
- Measure large pieces of furniture to make sure they will fit in your new space.
- Choose your moving date and make sure it works with others involved in the move.
4 Weeks Out
- Book the moving company with written confirmation of moving date, costs, and any specific requests.
- If needed, purchase moving insurance.
- Begin packing with items you aren’t currently using including out-of-season items.
- Label all boxes and keep a list of what items are included in each box.
- Separate items you want to transport yourself on moving day and hold them in one specific place.
- Change addresses at the post office and for any subscriptions you receive.
- Notify the utility companies of your upcoming move so you can have the names changed over.
2 Weeks Out
- Confirm the moving date, costs, and any specific requests with the moving the moving company.
- Use up food and cleaning items you will not move.
- Start throwing things away so you can make plans if your trash exceeds the trash can.
1 Week Out
- Pack a suitcase with essentials (toiletries, clothing, medication, etc.) you will need soon after the move.
- Create a plan for your pets and plants on moving day.
The Week of Moving Day
- Defrost the fridge and freezer.
- Make plans to tip and feed the movers.
- Arrange your moving day schedule including anyone will help move either in or out, transportation options, and food for moving day and the day after.
- Verify all details with the moving company when they arrive.
- After furniture and boxes have been unloaded, take inventory to make sure everything is accounted for.
- Do a final sweep and open every drawer and closet to ensure no item is left behind.